Sunday 15 May 2011

Week 3 Lab 2 - Race Track

Step 1 - Use the create polygon tool to create the shape of the track

Step 2 - Use the extrude tool to extrude to the desired length.

Step 3 - Use the insert edge loop tool to insert edges at the bottom of both sides and then using the extrude tool, extrude downwards. Extrude outwards once more to get the protruding shape shown above.

Step 4 - Extrude one last time, but this time scale it to get the nice joint to join with other track pieces.

Step 5 - Change the menu to the 'Animation' menu in the main menu bar and then use the non-linear bend tool to bend the race track to form the shape shown above.

Step 6 - To get this S-shape race track, I added another non-linear bend in the other direction, therefore resulting in two bends in different directions.


Reflection

In this exercise, I experienced using the create polygon tool for the first time. I found this particular tool very handy and convenient as the tool allows my to draw the outline of any shape of a polygon that I want and all I need was to extrude to get the polygon. The non-linear bend tool was also new to me and I found it quite difficult to use. The S-shape race track that I was trying to achieve was not a perfect S-shape due to some difficulties in handling the non-linear bend tool. Overall, this exercise has taught me more methods and techniques to aid me in my modeling journey.

Research

Here are some of the videos that I saw on youtube, which gave me a clearer understanding and helped me along with this exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment