Friday 13 May 2011

E-Learning Week 2 Gears

Step 1 - I selected alternate faces of the ring polygon provided, leaving a single segment spacing between each of the selected faces.

Step 2 - I used the extrude tool to extrude the selected faces, to form the teeth of the gear.

Step 3 - Still using the extrude tool, I scaled the teeth of each gear to have a pointier end as an additional detail

Step 4 - Changed to object mode and my gear is complete! 


Reflection

I found this exercise quite simple but still helpful at the same time. I taught me how to come up with a variety of designs just by scaling. Take the second and the last model for example, both of the models look like gears but because of the scale tool I was able to model both gears to have different shaped teeth, hence giving me a wider variety of designs. 

Research

Here are some of the videos that I saw on youtube, which gave me a clearer understanding and helped me along with this exercise.

Move, scale and rotate tool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxGnx1jLxbY

No comments:

Post a Comment