Thursday 28 April 2011

Practice - model of a hand

Side view of my hand model

Front view of my hand model

Bottom view of my hand model

Top view of the hand model

Process

For this hand model that I have made, I started of with a basic cube polygon. I created 4 divisions on top of the cube and three divisions at the side of the cube. Next, I extruded the bottom face at the side twice and four of the faces on top thrice. This is because the thumb has two joints and the fingers on top has three joints each. I smoothed the entire polygon and then slowly shaped the fingers and the palm slowly with the help of the move, rotate, scale and soft modification tool.

Reflection

This is my first practice model on Maya and I decided to start off with an organic model, in this case I tried to model a hand. I did this practice model is because I wanted to get used to Maya's environment and try out a few of the tools available. I spent several hours just by modeling this hand model, but it was worth it by gaining some valuable modeling experience in Maya before the second lesson, as I have a gut feeling that IN3D is going to get tougher and my modeling journey is definitely going to be one bumpy ride.

Research

Here are some of the videos that I saw on youtube, which gave me a clearer understanding and helped me along with this exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment