Sunday 12 February 2012

Rigging Exercise


In this exercise, I learnt a few techniques on rigging. Firstly, use the joint tool to create the skeleton of the model. Keeping in mind the anatomy of the model, where I place the joints is very important. After setting up the skeleton, I will move on to naming every single joint of the model.

Next, using the orient joint tool, I will have to make sure all the joints are oriented in the right direction, if not many difficulties will be faced later. I found this part the most difficult to grasp, as you have to now which axis to select.

After every joint is oriented in the right direction, I moved on to setting up the controllers for the legs, arms, hip, spine and the head, constraining every controller to their respective areas. I found this part the most confusing and got stuck at the elbow controllers. I solved this problem by consulting a friend and looking into his rig.

Lastly, I skinned the model to the skeleton and did the weight painting. The weight painting was tedious and I found out that it had to rely a lot on my artistic instinct. As my artistic instinct was extremely limited, the result of the weight painting did not turn out so well, resulting in some parts of the model folding in an awkward manner as I move the controllers.

Overall, I found this exercise extremely enriching and useful. I feel that in this exercise, I have only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of rigging. I would definitely look up more about rigging to improve my rig. 


Figure 1: Reference image 1

This is the reference image for the first pose. It was taken from http://yourpaperboats.blogspot.com/2007/06/swan-lake.html

Figure 2: Pose no. 1

Figure 2 shows the first pose that I did with the rig. The pose is fairly simple to do, as it is just a few translations away from the T-pose. This pose stretches the four extremities of the model, thus I find this pose quite relevant to this exercise, whereby it really puts the rig to the test.

Figure 3: Reference image 2

This is the reference image for the second pose. It was taken from http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/dance_around_the_world.html


Figure 4: Pose no. 2

Figure 4 shows the second pose that I have done with the rig. Once again, it puts the rig to the test but maintaining the elegance of the model at the same time. Hence, I chose this pose.

Figure 5: Reference image 3

This is the reference image for the second pose. It was taken from 

Figure 6: Pose no. 3

Figure 6 shows the last pose that I did with the rig. From the pose, you can clearly see the reverse foot lock in action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment